|About the Fair|
Social studies education is essential for the preservation and improvement of our constitutional democracy. Effective social studies education must afford students the opportunity to ask essential questions, recognize patterns of behavior, think critically, create solutions, predict outcomes and draw conclusions to help them learn to solve problems. The West Virginia State Social Studies Fair provides the opportunity for students to excel in these realms.
- Recognize and reward outstanding achievements of Social Studies students;
- Develop among participants an ability to apply the scientific method as it applies to social studies investigations;/li>
- Challenge students to be inventive and think creatively;
- Provide relevance;
- Encourage students to demonstrate what they know and to observe what others throughout the state know regarding social studies content;
- Provide the opportunity for students to interpret the cultural, social, political, geographic and economic forces of historical and current issues and events and to understand more fully the nature of social studies;
- Encourage students to draw more heavily on all areas of social studies as a means of broadening and deepening their understanding of social science concepts and principles;
- Encourage students to practice information and communication skills, thinking and problem-solving skills, interpersonal and serf-directional skills;
- Provide a forum for student public speaking;
- Generate public interest in and appreciation for the broad interdisciplinary areas of social studies; and
- Develop a greater public appreciation and understanding of the abilities of youth.